Monday, July 13, 2009

Love, aaj kal

"To let or not to let (…the cat out of the bag, of course)?' was the obvious question that haunted the previous generation youth when it came to informing their parents about their love interest. It was a secret guarded closely. The more careful one would keep the proverbial cat inside the bag lest they should spill the beans!

So, in a setting where the father was (or perceived to be) the unrelenting Akbar-e-Azam and the mother was not a shadow of the gentle Jodha Bai, the love flourished behind the curtains. But not any more! Gennext is more open about its relationships and has no inhibitions in apprising parents of love interests.

“If you trust your partner and you are sure he'll not ditch you, you must tell your parents about him,” says Pooja Vijayvargiya, an interior designing student. “But before doing that give some time to your relationship. I told my mother about my love interest after two years of dating him.”

For Loveleen Dagar, a fresh entrant to a professional institute, there is nothing on earth she doesn't share with her mother. “Having a boyfriend is normal and I don't see any reason to keep it a secret from parents. In fact, parents can guide you better. See, when I told my mom, she advised me to not go overboard and just maintain a healthy relationship with boys.”

In this research, we came across an interesting fact—girls are more forthcoming and tend to share their secrets with their parents more than boys do. “I've never been in a relationship but when I will be serious about a guy I'll tell my parents,” says Aastha Rathore, a student.

And boys being boys, here is this young chap named Apoorva, who has a girlfriend but will not tell his parents about her. “Maybe I'll tell my mother when I am more serious,” he says. (We'll pray that you girlfriend does not read this, Apoorva). But he is not alone. Says Mahendra Kumawat, “I am dating, but I won't tell my parents about it.” “Neither should you,” he adds amidst confusion whether he did the right thing by telling us!

I am seeing a girl, but I have not told my parents as yet. May be I'll tell my mother when I am more serious about a girl- Apoorva Saxena.

Popular Posts